Sunday, May 01, 2011

Sketch #1 - Detective Daddy

FADE IN:

EXT. STREET - DAY

OFFICERS keep a crowd of on lookers back as a detective’s car stops at the scene of the crime.

Detective TRAVIS, exits the car and approaches a wounded BOY.

BOY
I’ve been shot.

TRAVIS
Everything is going to be OK, the ambulance is on their way.

BOY
Daddy I’m sorry I was playing in the street.

TRAVIS
Hey your dad is on his way, OK? You’re going to be just fine. Now tell me who did this to you?

BOY
(wincing)
Tommy wanted to play stick ball in the street, because their was more room to run around, daddy. I didn’t want to play I swear.

TRAVIS
Listen kid I’m not your father, alright? You’ve been shot. Was it Tommy who shot you?

BOY
I just wanted to be a ball player like you said I could daddy. Like you taught me.

TRAVIS
I’m not your father, OK? When your father gets here, you can tell him all of this.

BOY
(coughing)
You remember that time when you told me to meet you at the ball game and you never showed up. Why daddy? Why didn’t you come?

TRAVIS
Listen you little shit. I’m not your deadbeat dad. I’m a police detective.

Blood starts to run out of the boy’s mouth.

BOY
Is it because I didn’t do good in school daddy? Because I tried real hard. Real, REAL hard.

TRAVIS
Listen you fucking moron, I’m not your father! I don’t want to be your father, I’m not looking to play fucking ball with some shit, that wasn’t smart enough to not play in the fucking street, OK?!

The boy starts to cry.

TRAVIS (CONT’D)
Listen I didn’t mean that, OK?

BOY
(sniff)

TRAVIS
You’re a good kid. I’m sure if your father was here, he’d say the same thing. Now I’m going to ask you one more time, can you tell me anything about what happened?

BOY
Daddy?

Detective Travis looks stoned faced at the boy who is turning pale.

BOY (CONT’D)
Daddy?

TRAVIS
(beat)
Yeah, son?

BOY
Why did mommy leave us?

TRAVIS
Because she's a whore.

FADE TO BLACK.

No comments: